Our friends Kelsey and Eli and Eerwin (the dog) took us geocaching this past weekend. This was something we have never done before and never heard of for that matter. Here's how it works. There's a national website where you log on and get coordinates for geocaching sites in your area. You enter the coordinates into your hand held GPS and it tells you what direction to go and your distance away from the site. When you get to the spot (it could be out at the beach in dunes, under a random stores boardwalk) you start looking for a box of somekind. It's kind of like looking for buried treasure. Inside the package there's a list of other geocachers who have found it and the date they were there (you add your name) and all kinds of little trinkets that other people have added to the package. You can add something too. So anyways, Hallie LOVED looking for treasure and getting to see what was inside the packages when we would find them. We all had a lot of fun and are really excited to do it again sometime.
Tuesday, January 08, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
holy cow chase is getting so big! he looks like a little boy, not a baby :(
Geocaching is a BIG deal in Blanding--I've never done it, but it looks so fun! I love how universal it is :).
Lots of fun. This is popular just about everywhere. I used to teach GPS and compass orienteering to the scouts. Hidden treasures are always fun.
LOVE that picture of chase and matt. chase is so dang cute!!
I never had heard of it either. What a fun and fabulous idea!! Love it! I am sure Tanner would just eat that up. Maybe I will have to look into it!
Post a Comment