Thursday, September 10, 2009

SKIN TO SKIN!!

I was taking myself on a little trip down memory lane this morning and came across some pictures that made me bust out laughing. This is probably not the reaction you would expect from a girl looking at the pictures from the day her son was born. But when I saw the look on my face in the picture below (try not to be distracted by all of my chins) the memory of what put that look there came to my mind. Chase's delivery was an easy one. When he came out, I'm pretty sure I said "that was it?" I could have done it again right then, no problem. We loved our doctor (he was a very devout Christian, he even prayed with us before I started pushing that the Lord would watch over me and our baby), and the hospital was amazing. One thing that we quickly learned about this hospital we were delivering in, was that they were WAY into having babies. Not just the medical end of things, but the "experience". I've never been that into the "experience". Call me cold hearted. I never took birthing classes (I really didn't want to hear about all the pain I was going to be in and how this baby was going to get out. I felt better left in ignorance). I just wanted the baby, the act of getting it out was a technicality in my opinion. I wanted NO pain, and deifnently NO mirror. Are you kidding me? Did they want me to pass out? There's a reason that my eyes and my birthing apparatus are at opposite ends. And I'm grateful for that. So here the point of the story:
Chase made his entrance, and I was happy. I watched as Matt cut the cord and was still happy. Just then, the nurse (she kinda came out of nowhere) pulls open the front of my gown exposing me to the room and practically yells "SKIN TO SKIN! SKIN TO SKIN!" grabs gooey, bloody, still kind blue Chase and plops him down right on my bare chest. I guess she was trying to make us bond. She wanted him to know who his mother was I'm guessing. Want to know what I wanted? Not to have gooey uterus juice and blood smeared all over my body. I wanted a nice, clean, weighed, swaddled baby to take into my arms.


Photobucket
And so the fact that my sister caught this expression on my face caused me to bust into fits of laughter sitting here this morning. You can just see how grossed out I am. I'm supposed to be happy right now, but really, all I want at that moment is a shower. I quickly asked the nurse to take him away and clean him up, then bring him back. I could tell she was dissapointed in my lack of enthusiasm about my little goo-meister. So in a motherly way (a way which I'm sure she thought I was lacking in what was supposed to be a very happy moment) she wrapped him up and took him to the sink to wash him. Thank goodness. There were also a few more pictures similar to this one, but I was flashing the camera...so I had to pick the most modest ones.
Photobucket
Here's me trying to put on a happier face for the camera, after the initial shock had worn off. I also had to put up this picture to prove that I really only have 1 chin. (usually).
So what did I learn from this experience? When a nurse comes at you and tries to rip your clothes off in the birthing room...get ready...cause something wet and gooey and warm is coming your way!

13 comments:

sharon said...

I love that top face, that's one of my worst nightmares is to have a wet placenta gooey sticky baby placed on me the other is my mother trying to get me to save the placenta so I can eat it later :)

sure do miss the funny stories glad you have a blog :)

Stacy said...

Too funny!

I have some pictures of me making that face, but it was because Allison wouldn't stop pooping! The minute she was born she started squirting and would NOT stop! Every single delivery room picture I have has poop smeared on something. Me. The blankets. The nurses. The bed. Her. It was bad enough my doctor started gagging! LOL!

kelsey said...

you crack me up. i remember you telling me this story when i was pregnant, so i was quite worried when blake finally entered the world, but i was safe! thank goodness.

Rebecca said...

haha. my nurse asked me if i wanted skin to skin with ben... she said or you can try try to nurse him right away.i went for the nursing... but no gooey baby on my bare chest.lol

Rebecca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Holly Moore said...

hilarious! That expression is classic!

Neal Family said...

Sheesh. Guess I should be glad--surgical deliveries are very UN-touchy feely. However, they did bring me Kennedy about 20 minutes are the c-section, while I was still in recovery, letting my spinal wear off and wanted me to try nursing. While I was all for that, um, I just had a spinal. I'm FLAT on my back, cannot move from the position, and well, we all know what happens to small chested girls when they are flat on their backs. Poor baby was just getting tortured, thinking she might be going to get fed but finding nothing to latch on to. I think next time, I'll be telling them to bring the baby to me just as soon as I can sit up, but no sooner!

The Graves.... said...

Hey, Davie's liking ROTC so far, expect they have these little team cheers they have to do which are silly, but it's just trying to get them to follow orders and stuff. He's still trying to decide for sure what he wants to do in the Air Force, his mentor sent a list of jobs and the training required so he's still looking over it. He loves working with electrical stuff and wires though, so he'll probably do something where he can work on the planes.

Those pics are way cute, you look a lot better than I did after having my kids! LOL

Jess and Broadie said...

OK, some back ground on Skin to Skin since this is my area of expertice :-) helps breastfeeding, helps regulate temperature of baby (better then the warmers can), and all in all long story short is by far the best thing you can do for the baby after the birth, which is why they encouraged it (but the nurses can wipe the baby down before doing skin to skin (glad to see you tried it though) :-) and I love your story!

The Cavazos said...

Love this blog! Too funny! The look on your face is great!!! Pretty sure that if the nurse would have done that to me I would have given a similiar one!

Jessica said...

HAHAHA...I know oh too well about this. I have a picture with both of my kids with the EXACT same face as yours! With Ella, I asked them to please clean her up first...and they did. With Carter the hospital has changed the way they do it and the baby isn't allowed a bath for 3 hours (to make sure they can keep their own temp up)...or there is carter who didn't get one for 8 hours!!! Sick! I asked Brady if I was a terrible mother since I didn't kiss him for 8 hours after he was born. =) Dr. Linzey is the greatest though. He hung out with us for hours cracking jokes before he caught Carter falling out of me. Haha. Love that you had the same feelings and face as I did! I also didn't take classes because I didn't want to know what was about to happen. I got a lot of weird looks from people when I told them why I didn't take them. And a mirror, why the crap would I want to watch that? =)

Rachel said...

I remember you telling me that story in Florida, but seeing the picture just really makes me laugh. Does it make you want to have another one, but do it right this time? (By that I mean in a very clean, ungooey way)

Adria said...

Hey Sara! I love reading your blog, it always puts a smile on my face!
I did a water birth and thus avoided the slimey mess. Me and the baby sort of had skin to skin right after she was born...I was wearing a sports bra, but I did just hold her in the tub for an hour after she was born. I have to say that's one of the best things about a water birth--all the mess is already gone right away :)