Thursday, September 17, 2009

Little Women.

Who can sit and watch this movie and not walk away at the end without red swollen eyes and a sniffly nose? Someone who has sisters certainly could not. I have been blessed in life to have a pleathora of sisters. Sisters who steal clothes from eachother. Try out new workout videos together. Sit in the Jacuzzi for hours and hours together. Call eachother with our joys and triumphs, and our sadness and failures. Sisters who love eachother and want nothing but the best for eachother.
I sat here and balled my eyes out with Joe March as she said her final goodbye's to Beth. I thought of my sisters, and how I love each and every one of them for their unique personalities. Each with their own goals and aspirations. I thought of them and I felt blessed. But there was one particular Sister I had on my mind.
I thought of Lara and I cried. I think of Lara and I cry now. She is my older sister by 4 years, but we have been bonded all our lives. We shared a room as long as I can remember, and she has always been my best friend. I feel peace when I am with her, very similar to the peace I saw Joe feel when she was comforted by Beth. Her gentle, calm demeanor cannot help but have a soothing effect on those around her, and yet you can always sense her quiet strength and moral conviction.
I remember nights as a child (and even a teenager) when the noises outside would scare me to death, and I would swing down from my top bunk into her bed. I knew the comfort I needed to be able to fall asleep at night lay just below me, however I would need to bring my own blanket because she wasn't the best at sharing hers. Sometimes I think she really liked the company too, because when I would sleep in my own bed she would wake we up in the middle of the night with an urgent whisper "Sara! Sara!! Did you hear that??" I would reply in my sleepy voice, "NO". Then Lara would always retort with the same line "I heard something outside our window!" and within seconds I was swinging down from my top bunk to join her in her bed...shaking like a leaf. We would cuddle up close and begin discussing if we should go and get Mom and Dad. Usually we decided not to, but on those rare nights when we were sure there was danger lurking outside our window we fought over who would have to walk in front through the dark hallway to get to our parent's door.
As we have all grown I've developed closer relationships with my younger sisters and love them so much, but Lara is the one sister with whom I share all of my childhood memories. We continue forward as family urging eachother to be better and laughing at all of our mistakes. We long to all be together and Christmas to come is an event that we all discuss year round.
I must head off to my cozy bed, but I'll end with a quote from Joe, "Don't be silly! I could never love anyone more than I love my sisters." Amen to that.

9 comments:

Carly said...

Mmmm. I think you feel about Lara like I feel about Tasha. I was on the bottom bunk, she was on the top. What would we do without them? I cry every time I watch that movie too.

Lara said...

sniffle sniffle! You totally made me cry! you made me remember when I was on the top bunk and your crib was underneath in the space where the matress should have been. you were just a baby, but I would climb down there in the middle of the night so I wouldn't feel lonely and scared. I love you and miss you tons Sara!

Rebecca said...

awe that made me a little teary. i feel the same way about mary and elizabeth. mary and i used to snuggle. and i used to sing elizabeth to sleep every night. love those memories.

Tasha said...

Amen to the whole post. What would I do without my sisters? I don't even want to think about. And I totally cry in that movie too. We are lucky girls to have so many sisters.

Unknown said...

aww that was a really sweet post! I felt that way about Lara and I'm not even blood ;) I'll say Amen to her beth like qualities. Matt even cries when Beth dies...and I still want to punch that Amy in her rotten nose. :P

Dana Powell said...

Sara, you have a gift for putting in writing what the rest of us intuitively feel. What a gift all my girls (and boys!) are! I love you guys!

The Graves.... said...

I love that movie too. Davie laughs at me cause I cry during it, glad I'm not the only one.

Mary Powell said...

I love you guys too! Yeah, me and becca used to snuggle, and she had the same problem with the blanket stealing. ;) i am going to have to watch that movie again. Oh, and the other one that really makes me cry is, My Girl.... I really needed some tissues

Elizabeth. said...

aw, haha i remember i used to have a bed that pulled out from under becca's, evey night she would hold my hand and sing me to sleep; we shared a room for most of my life... and every sunday morning i would walk back to lara and sara's room and one of you guys would curl my hair for me or help me get dressed... i love my sisters, even if im mad at them(: