Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Things that warm my heart.

I think just about anyone who knows me, knows that I have a strong belief in God. I also would venture to say that anyone who knows me knows that I respect other peoples right to choose what to believe and how to live their lives. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (the religion in which I have been raised and have a firm testimony of) has never been a Church that uses the crucifix as a symbol of our faith. The death of Jesus Christ is something which all Christians (like myself) have a deep reverence for. The aspect of Christ's death that I have always been taught to focus on is not the sadness of his death, but the miracle of his resurrection. I believe this is the reason the Mormon church does not use crosses on our buildings or for decoration. However, seeing a cross always immediately reminds me of my Savior's sacrifice and I am grateful for those kinds of reminders.
I love the USA. However it makes me so sad the see how hard people there are trying to take God out of the picture. Our Country, which was founded by inspired men who believed they were following Gods will, is so quickly becoming a place where the mention of God or a Savior is becoming taboo. So one thing that has shocked me since our move to Europe, is the reminders on so many houses and on most corners of our Saviors sacrifice for us. There are no people picketing the town square to have the crosses removed, although I'm sure there are many people here who do not believe in God. I would like to think that just as I can see the beauty in a Buddist temple or a Jewish Synagague, they can see the beauty in these crosses that are so often amazing pieces of art. For me, it just brings warmth to my heart to be reminded of Jesus Christ on a walk with my family, or a drive to the grocery store. It is so wonderful to be in a country that has not forgotten God.









5 comments:

Anonymous said...

well spoken! thank you!

Julia Holmes said...

I agree...very well said. It is so true.

Brittany said...

Gov of Texas Rick Perry recently gave a speech on states rights and how Texas is running itself better than the federal government and pretty much said if things don't change...so if you never hear from me and Brian again, you will know we ran away to the grand country of Texas and we took our Jesus with us!

kelsey said...

i liked reading this. that sounds funny, but that's what the feeling i had was when i finished...so laugh if you want at my lame thought! :)

Shauna said...

Thanks for the great words. I am in total agreement. It saddens me when I hear it. Keep up the good work. I agree with you.