Monday, November 02, 2009

Happy Anniversary!

One year ago today we were sleeping our day away on our very first day in Germany. I don't think I've ever been quite so tired in my life as I was that first day. Everything looked so strange. The guesthouse we were in had a weird little sink in the kitchen and the equivelent to a mini-fridge in america. The shower was weird, the beds were weird, the tub was weird, the floors were REALLY weird, the washer and dryer were ridiculous and SMALL. It smelled different than America, is that weird to say? I sat in awe on our drive from the airport at the beauty all around us and couldn't wait to go exploring through the darling little towns and villages we drove through. Everything was old and brick and charming. I felt like I had just stepped into an old book. I was looking at Germany with fresh eyes and excitement about what was to come for our little family.

In this past year it has all become so normal. My mini sink and mini fridge are just a way of life, I'm used to it. The brick, I couldn't imagine life without it. I could absolutely do without the spiders, but you take the good with the bad. The idea of going to America where there is a store open after 6pm is so exciting and strange to me. I do still have my "holy crap" moments, usually when I'm driving, when it hits me that I....Sara Powell Horrocks....live in Germany. In GERMANY! And I have to do a quick head shake to come back to reality. (it's always a good idea to be in reality when you're driving). I love when people first move here, or come to visit us, and I get to see it all again through their "fresh eyes". I get to see their jaws drop, or point in awe at the brick arch that I drive under every day. I makes me feel so proud of this beautiful, charming place that I live in.

Our move here has brought opportunities for us that I could never have imagined. We've seen Austria, France, Belgium, Holland, the Czech Republic, Greece, Germany, and Matt has seen many more that. And it has only been 1 year! I can't wait to see what the next 2 1/2 will bring. I am so grateful for our exciting adventure and can't wait for more friends and family to come out here and appreciate what I thank my lucky stars for everyday.

However, I do miss a nice BIG burning diet coke from Carls Jr (they have the best ones you know).

3 comments:

MrsKBJ said...

We were just talking about HOPS today. Friends of ours just got back from Spain. They loved it! Germany is on the top of our list. We will let you know if we will be heading to your neck of the wood anytime soon! Unfortunatly, we will never get to live there while in the military. You are super lucky! I am jealous! :O)

Tasha said...

I think I have loved getting to see just a little bit of Germany and these places you have visited through your blog. You have such a talent with writing and with photography. Can't wait to see what the next 2 1/2 years bring too. Glad you are loving it!

Vanessa said...

Holy Moly. Sam and I were talking last night about places we could live after he finishes this MBA. They offer big bucks to go to Europe and we were talking about the possibilities of living abroad for a few years. Of course, I kept thinking of your little family.

I love the pride that comes with living somewhere cool or different. I've gotten glimpses of it when my family (from Idaho) has come to visit me in San Fran, and Hyde Park most recently. I know it's not nearly the change that somewhere in Germany would be, but Chicago is a far cry from Idaho, that's for sure.

Anyway, I love your positive, inspiring attitude. It's easy to get wrapped up in the negatives of being away from family. Good for you, and happy anniversary!