Friday, April 11, 2008
Ear Tube-ish Hell.
So this has been a pretty frustrating week. Tuesday, Hallie and Chase were playing together and Chase was giving Hallie kisses on her cheek. When he pulled his face away and I looked at him there was blood all over his nose. So I immediately start investigating to find the source, and where else could it be coming from? Hallie's ear. Of course. Poor baby. So I call the Ear, Nose and Throat specialist and they tell me to come down to have her be seen (keep in mind their office is an hour away from us). So we get in the car and start driving. While we drive I'm calling number after number trying to get this visit we're about to make covered by our insurance because our referral has expired. So we get to the office and wouldn't you know, our Dr is out of town for the week so we are put in with the nurse practitioner. She looks in her ear and tells us "this kind of thing is somewhat normal, the tube could have just moved a little bit or she could be getting an ear infection. Here are some drops, put them in twice a day and come back and see us in 10 days. " So we do the drops thing that night, when i go into her bedroom to get her up in the morning (running very late for a relief society presidency meeting) I flip the light on and Hallie sits up in bed happy as a clam....looking like something straight out of a horror movie. There is blood all over her face, hands, sheets, pillow, bed frame. So I clean her up as quickly as I can, check her ear (which doesn't seem to have a fresh flow of blood coming out) and take her with me to my meeting. On the way I call the ENT again and they make me an appointment with a different Dr. (only because I told them I wouldn't see the N.P. again) who works in the same office. They made me the apt for Thursday morning. So we get there yesterday morning and see the doctor, I tell him everything that has been going on and he tells me "This is not normal, I have never seen anything like this before. I have no idea why it would be bleeding like this. I can't even see the tube. We need to get a better look with a microscope and try to fix this. Lets schedule surgery for tomorrow morning." Nice. Nurse says "Normal", Doctor says "Not normal". So frustrating. So she went in for a small surgery this morning. She had to under anesthetic so she would be asleep for the duration. The doctor came out when he was done and told us that he had never seen anything like this before. He said the bleeding was coming from the ear drum itself and all he can figure is that she ruptured a blood vessel in the drum. He removed the old tube, cauterized (sp?) hear ear drum, cleaned out all the blood clots behind hear drum and in her ear canal, and put in a new tube. We are now home and she's resting nice and cozy. Poor little thing. So we'll see if the problem is actually solved or not. Time will tell I guess.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
sara i can't imagine going through all that. you must have been freaked out. hopefully the last dr. knew what he was talking about. poor hallie. i'm thinking of you guys and hoping hallie is well.
Give Hallie hug and kisses for us. We are all praying for her.
Wow! I'm sorry! I feel so bad for all of you!
Oh, poor Hallie!! Wow! I feel so bad for you guys and praying for you all. Let us know if we can help you out with anything.
So sorry you had to go through all of this! I know it's caused you a lot of stress so I hope this will cure all the problems.
what a nightmare! My heart would of stopped seeing all of that blood! I've never heard ear tubes being such a ordeal. Poor Hallie and Sara AND Matt! ((HUGS))
Poor Hallie! I have been wondering if everything worked out from the last time you posted about all the trauma. I am so sorry! I'll keep you guys in my prayers. Hang in there!
That is so sad. At least she sounds like a tough little girl.
Craziness!! I think you should stick with this second doctor because he at least seems to know what he is talking about and trying to deal with it. Oh, poor poor Hallie! And YOU! What a nightmare. And with two callings now. I am feeling very warn out for you. Keep hanging in there!
Argh! So frustrating! Poor little baby-keeping my fingers crossed that this is the end of the ear tube hell for you guys!
Post a Comment