Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Top 10

Top 10 Reasons I'm excited to move to Germany (in no particular order):
1. We won't be homeless anymore
2. We won't be car-less anymore
3. Never been there...I'm always up for a new adventure
4. The anticipation of having to fly 12 hours with 2 kids will be over
5. I get to blog with some new, amazing pictures
6. We get to be one, whole family again
7. ummm, hello! Travel Europe...for 4 years!
8. Get Hallie into Preschool and have 2 whole hours 3 days a week with only one child
9. Maybe buy some really cute European car
10. Eat some really good food (I've heard it's pretty amazing over there)

Top 10 Reason I'm TERRIFIED to move to Germany (in no particular order):
1. The German language sounds like they are trying to get something really nasty out of their throat. I don't want to have to talk like that.
2. The plane trip. My airways start closing off every time I think about it.
3. House hunting for the first month or so. I hate house hunting, especially when I have to count on Matt and his German to voice my questions and concerns to the landlord.
4. The time change. They are 9 hours ahead of us here, I can't even imagine what that's going to do to my kids for the first few days.
5. It's really far from my family. Flying alone with two kids from Florida was hard enough, I don't think I can do it from Germany.
6. Moving day is 10 days away, we are not ready and have WAY too much stuff. Some of it has to be shipped, but I'm really bad at picking what stays and what goes.
7. My kids LOVE being near their grandparents. Both mine and Matt's parents love our kids to pieces and the feelings are definitely mutual. I hate the thought of my kids growing up nowhere near family.
8. Whenever Matt is at work, I'm left to do my own communicating with the German people. That means I have to learn a new language. I am really bad at committing myself to doing something (like learning a whole new language) and following through with it. Guess I don't really have a choice.
9. Matt might get sent back to Alabama shortly after we get there for 6 more weeks of training. That leaves me in a new country, alone. For SIX weeks. (luckily that one is a maybe)
10. The unknown. I love it and hate it at the same time.

13 comments:

Jefrilyn Ellison said...

I would be happy to fly to Germany with you and help get you settled! I don't speak the language so much, but who cares? It's GERMANY!! You are going to have a great time! I'm jealous! We are hoping to go to Germany in February, I think. I hope it works out!

Mandy Coffey said...

ahhh sara good luck! i hope the excitment of the pro's out weighs the stress of the con's!

kelsey said...

poor sara! i feel for you...but then you do get to live in germany! it really sucks while being so awesome all at the same time. don't know what else to say!!

AmyJane said...

Oh my. I'd be FREAKING out right now. That flight alone would have me curled up in a ball under the bed. Good luck with that part. I'm sure you'll settle in and do just great. BTW, who took your family pictures you just did? Was it in Utah or in California? I'm looking for something similar in style to do with my family...

lauren said...

WOW! exciting and scary,.. yo will be fine though. and are you in hb right now? can we please play? i will totally watch a kid or 2 so you can get some crap packed???

sarawhat said...

Amy- it was in Utah, her name is kelly and she lives near Lehi. She takes your pics then gives you the CD once she has photoshoped them. Love her to pieces. Her blog is kellymccaleb.typepad.com that's the best way to contact her. I think she has her email on there.
Lauren- Come over and swim! CAll me (808)358-6752

girl said...

Wow! Im excited for you, but also understand your fears! What an adventure your family is going to have. I can't wait to follow it via your blog! Good luck!!!

Kylee said...

Sara, when we went to Germany, a lot of people spoke English, except for the scary lady who thought I stole an umbrella from the store. I hope you get to go to some castles and stuff. I loved the ottobahn...it's fun to drive so fast, but get a car with really good gas mileage, the one we rented sucked...you'll be fine. GOOD LUCK!

sharon said...

hey sara wow only 10 more days! It overwhelming the whole packing bit I can relate to the grandparent thing I hate to think my kids will be the odd ones out at reuinons but hey maybe that would be the case if we lived close :) good luck suga p.s. im making the doctor give me valium before our overseas adventure!

Jan's Gems said...

Hi Sara, It's Janice I work at Petersons in Riverton. My daughter and her family have lived overseas for 5 years now and they absoltely love in. They lived in London for a little over 3 years and now they are in Frankfurt, Germany. I was able to go over for 3 weeks in February and had the best time ever. The people are friendly and speak very good English and yes the food is GREAT!! If you need any help or just want to talk my daughter can so help you and would be very glad to do so. E-mail me if you want and I will give you all of her information. She works for the American consulate in Frankfurt. Good luck,you will love it there I wish I could move there myself.

Rebecca said...

the great thing about going over with the military is that you know there are 100's of other wives that feel the same way you do. and they all speak english! and you already have a friend over there. so i wouldnt worry about the language so much.

Tasha said...

Maybe you should have put the negatives first and the positives last because now I am feeling very anxious and stressed out for you and I am not even going to Germany!! Good luck. I know if anyone can do it it is you. I will be thinking baout you!! I can't believe it is already time for you to go!!!!!!

DaniWilk said...

you have us here all ready to help you with anything you need, except for the flight...that will suck no joke. take some airborne ;)
see you soon! i can't wait.