Kelly and I (one of my best friends from HB) were reminiscing a while back about a conversation we had back in High School. It went a little a little something like this:
"Where does everyone in the world want to live? America. Where does everyone in America want to live? California. Where does everyone in California want to live? Huntington Beach. So we pretty much live in the best place in the world."
haha. How naive we were! Don't get me wrong here- I LOVE Huntington Beach and miss it a ton. However my eyes have been opened since those tender teenage years and I've learned a few things. There is beauty everywhere, sometimes you just need to be willing to go out and find it, or to simply recognize it all around you. We have loved every single place we've lived (except Rexburg, Matt hated Rexburg). So let me rephrase, I have loved every single place we've lived. There has been something fun, unique, beautiful, peaceful about every.single.place.
Here's where I'm going with this: When we found out we were moving to Oklahoma I can't begin to explain the reactions we got from people. "Oklahoma? Ohhhhh, I'm SO sorry!" like our dog had just died, or it was a prison sentence. Every time I got this reaction I replied with a simple question "Have you ever been there?" The answer was always the same. "No." So I disregarded their statement and continued to look forward to our soon to be life in Oklahoma.
This brings me to point of this blog post, I LOVE Oklahoma. Who knew, right? I really really love it here. I came here knowing nothing of this state and continue to be impressed with this place we call home. After the tornadoes hit this year I was on the phone with my Mom and she asked me "WHY on earth would ANYONE live there!?" My answer just popped out of my mouth without thinking twice "Because of the people." Seriously, Oklahoma has seen some turmoil. The tornadoes here destroy homes every year, and yet....the area keeps growing. It was amazing watching the news and seeing first hand the local response from our community after this years devastating tornadoes. There weren't people crying for FEMA or the Red Cross. There were churches opening their doors, people running to the aid of their neighbors, donations pouring in, congregations banding together to serve their brothers. We were commanded to "Love One Another" and Oklahomans know what that means. I feel blessed to live amongst these people.
Here's a few more things I love about Oklahoma:
*Estate Sales! Seriously- I'm addicted.
*The food. There are so many fun restaurants and random food stands to try out. They never disappoint!
*My neighborhood- I have a really beautiful neighborhood with great neighbors and an awesome pool!
*Thrifting. Some of the best I've found.
*The country feel. Who doesn't love a cowboy?
*The state fair. Love it.
*My church family.
*Our home. I love love love our home. I will hate to leave it in a few years.
*The super long falls and super long springs.
I could go on and on. Instead I'll share pictures of the latest love we discovered- Turner Falls.
Last Friday we skipped town and drove and hour and a half away to Turner Falls with our good friends The Davis'. It was such a fun day. Karen was toting her 6 week old baby with her and they were such champs out in the heat. I stole the above picture from Karen. We parked ourselves under this tree for a few hours with our picnic lunches and let the kids (and the husbands) enjoy playing in the waterfall. It was a perfect day.
Another area of the falls had this big natural spring lake with water slides you could
They were also very brave at times.
I love my girls.
At the conclusion of our day we went and got some AMAZING barbecue followed up with some delicious "fried pies". (I'm telling you people, the FOOD here!)
Aren't you kind of wishing you were here in Oklahoma too right now? I TOLD you!


5 comments:
I really wish I was there!!! I'm so glad that you are happy, I can't wait to come and visit!
So glad you are happy there. I, on the other hand, am not happy you are there. I need/want you back here in H.B. Will have to settle for short visits here and there. And yes, OK is beautiful. So is your new home. So are your children. Love, Mom
That looks awesome! I'm glad you like it there... but wish you were still here!
Sara I love your attitude. Things can be great anywhere and it depends in your attitude. You decided you'd love where you live and you do! You can choose to look a at good or bad. Very inspiring. Thanks for the perspective. And I need an update on how home schooling is going :)
Sara I love your attitude. Things can be great anywhere and it depends in your attitude. You decided you'd love where you live and you do! You can choose to look a at good or bad. Very inspiring. Thanks for the perspective. And I need an update on how home schooling is going :)
Post a Comment