My internal battle is as follows:Hallie goes to (is signed up to go to) preschool every morning for a few hours.
Hallie fights us EVERY morning about going.
Were Hallie of regular school age she would have no choice in the matter and school is not optional.
Hallie is not of regular school age. She is three (four in a month and a half).
Is she just too young to have to go to school every morning?
Should I be teaching her now that school is not optional? Or wait for another year when she starts kindergarden?
Hallie is always very happy when I pick her up from school every day and tells me about all the fun things she did....it's getting her there to begin with that seems to be the problem.
She is learning german there...and I really want her to learn the language so she can talk to/play with kids in the neighborhood.
Is she just too young?????
Advise me!!!
12 comments:
is there a way that she could just do a 2 day a week program? maybe its just a bit much for her age? I wouldn't push too hard at this age, you dont want her to already have negative feelings about School. Preschool should be 100% fun and carefree.
I agree. I think 2 or 3 days a week is enough for preschool, especially if the kid isn't jumping out the door to go. I'd look into that. You don't want to set up school as a battleground forever. It seems like maybe she'd rather be home more, with you, and this is the age for that. She'll never really get that chance again, so I'd try to find the balance of how many days a week makes her happy and excited for the chance to get out and not cranky about being made to go.
We're debating how to handle preschool in Patrick's life as well. We did Mommy co-op preschool two days a week this past year (just during the school year proper). The trick is that he still has two full years until K since his birthday misses the deadline. So, I'm trying to decide whether to do another year of Mommy preschool and then a year of formal preschool....or something else. Who knows.
Good luck!
I think it's amazing that she is learning German. I have heard the sooner they start learning a language, the easier it is for them. All day seems like a lot for a kid. And I am sure you miss her when she's gone. I agree with the comments above, 3 days per week (3 set days) would probably be great.
Broadie went 3 days a week to preschool and that seemed to work out great. I think it depends on each kido on how they respond, but if she is struggling maybe try dropping a few days and just see how she does, but I do agree she does need to learn that school is fun and important ..... good luck :-) Love you and miss you!
Nope, she can come and live with me! I'll take her off your hands if you want! Okay, I love you!
If she is telling you all the fun she had at school every time you pick her up, have her tell you what fun things are planned for the next day. If she doesn't know, try to get her teachers help with the next days plan so you can talk it up with her while she is still happy about it.
From Hallie's Grandpa Powell
If this was stevie I would let her stay home and then do absolutely nothing but chores around the house then when Stevie says but mom I wanna go play or you know whatever try saying sorry sweetie I know that you want to go play but this is what I do when your at school and it's not very fun that is why I try and do it while your gone so when you get home from school we can play. I bet that works, it works on Stevie good luck
I agree with all these other people. you should see tomorrow if they will let you bring her a few days a week instead of full time. hopefully that will make it better. at least she likes it afterward though and doesnt act like she still hates when she gets home.
just tell her, "do you want to get kicked out of college like your mommy?? well then get ready for school..."
yeah right....she's going to grow up believing that I got my masters degree! haha.
i didn't even think kindergarten was a big deal to attend every day. there's enough time for pressure and rules and places to be. i only have a few years with cate all to myself, and she has lots of years of homework and crap ahead.
but grant disagrees with me completely and thinks i am just raising her to be another lazy reneer girl! haha!
I think that Its a combo of all advice. Its a matter of learning to accept rules and learning at what age appropriate rules can apply. Dont wake up expecting a fight try to divert it before it happens.Start speaking about the fun she is having. etc. Then send her to grandpas and grandmas ( I could only Hope) We love and miss you all . Good thing we were perfect parents..HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
Grandma Jan
Post a Comment